CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Sunday, May 3, 2009

Dublin Writing Competition 2008

Here's another one...

I tried out for the Dublin competition...

Haha... Was just too bored in Form 4...

..............................

Tomorrow’s World Essay Competition

“Dad! Hurry or we’ll be late!” A young boy who has the cutest eyes of all tugged onto my black cargo pants. I almost chocked on my peanut butter toasted bread as I chuckled a little at my son’s excitement. Today is his big day; today is his first day of school. “Dad!” He tugged harder.

“Alright, alright, Evan.” I took the last sip of my coffee and stood up, grabbing my coat along with me. That was when I saw a slim figure standing before me, smiling wickedly.

“Not even a goodbye kiss, hon’?” My lips curled up a little as she pouts. My wife, a cute brunette Cheryl is as lovely as ever. I moved forward and bent down, giving her a brief kiss on her cheeks.

“Of course there is.” I handed Evan his Power Ranger bag. I am amazed that it is still popular after such a long time. I think it was created during my ancestors’ generation. “I’ll be back for lunch.” With that said, I shoved my kid out of the door, smirking. I stood on my pavement, taking in the fresh air around me. What I saw was not unusual at all, but to my parents, they surely are. Flying vehicles, cyborgs, robots on the road, all over the city. This is the future; 23rd century is where everything changes; this is tomorrow’s world.

Mankind started taking tiny steps into the vast desert of the unknown a millennium ago, when a renowned scientist, Professor Hinomaru Takashi invented the airborne JX-11, a vehicle which could easily morph into an aeroplane at the press of a button. Professor Takashi’s invention created a path for us, mankind; a path which led us to this future.

When was the last time I saw someone planting greeneries? I don’t even recall anyone of us doing that. The trees I look at every day of my life; the rivers I used to fish in when I was just a kid, is nothing but illusions created by technologies. Greeneries have become extinct years ago, even before I was born. The air we breathe in are artificial substances created by what we now trust the most… Technology. Slowly, seconds by seconds, it is killing every cell in our human body, bringing death nearer every day. What we see now is but the surface of a time bomb, waiting to explode; the surface of what we so-call ‘the future’. Here I see some kids running around, happily living off their innocent lives, not knowing the consequences.

Take for example men’s best friend. Sad to say that they had been replaced by robotic ones which does not have any feelings for anything or anyone. Frankly speaking, it is just a metal piece of thing which costs you a bomb. I had never seen a living animal in my life, not even once. All I could do is imagine the shape, the figure by the details my mother used to tell me about in my childhood. Why has everything changed so fast? Prominent philosopher Martin Heidegger once said “Thus we shall never experience our relationship to the essence of technology so long as we merely conceive and push forward the technological, put up with it, or evade it. Everywhere we remain unfree and chained to technology, whether we passionately affirm or deny it.” None the less, it’s true, even though a few hundred years had passed since he said that, but it is still happening around us. We are trapped in the grasp of science and technology. No matter how hard we try or what we do, we cannot free ourselves from them; we can’t live without them.

God created us with minds greater than any other living creature on Earth. He helped us start a path; a path which we had to walk ourselves, not knowing what is up ahead. No matter light or dark; yin or yang, these are the things we have to figure out ourselves. Right, some did predict the future I am living in, a future full of artificial lots; some even predicted endless war and darkness. It will happen; it is only a matter of time.

“Oh dad~ you’re spacing out again!” Another familiar tug on my jeans. I shook my head as the voice brought me back to reality. I looked down at him, my smile never fading. “Are you alright, dad?” He asked with much concern in those teal eyes of his.
“Sorry, Evan-boy.” I opened the car door for him. “Come on, don’t be late for your first day at school.” I chuckled as he pouted exactly like his mother. I sighed inwardly, closing the passenger car door before heading for the driver’s seat. Well, we’ll manage to live that off somehow. It’s just another start to a new day… A day which I hope to be a better one for the next generation…

...........................

The end!

0 comments: